It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The VR Tech Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ideally this thread would serve VR veterans and newcomers of this community alike as an exchange platform where everyone can share his expectations, experiences and opinions he has gathered so far with Virtual Reality.

I strongly encourage especially people without any VR experience to drop questions about it here, resulting in hopefully interesting discussions.

My personal experience with VR so far (condensed in cues)

Quote:
- Been a stereoscopic 3D Games enthusiast for the past 2 decades

- Completely missed the first "VR Boom" in the 90s

- Got really interested in the second "VR Boom" sparked by Luckey/Carmack, expecting VR to take the stereoscopic 3D Gaming Experience to the next level of immersion

- Being busy with custom projects, I decided to wait for Consumer Version Releases of the new VR devices before considering to buy in

- The claims that VR needs to run at 90 FPS, on low persistence Displays, at high resolutions, allowing only certain gametypes (slow and first person perspective only), ultra fast head & positional tracking, ideally with VR controllers, started to worry me about truly limiting the artistic freedom on the projects I had in mind to create with VR

- VR Prerequisites/Conditions postulated by hardware and software VR developers intimidated me and ultimately made me loose interest in VR

- Then recently, while watching a youtube video and enabling the google cardboard youtube viewing mode by accident, left me surprised by how well and without latency actually the Headtracking worked with my Samsung S5 which sparked further interest to investigate what can be done with DIY VR

- Quickly created a Home Made DIY kit out of some old shoe cardboard, double sided tape, farsighted glasses and my mobile, sparking enough further interest to order a Google Cardboard 2.0 Plus with a headstrap

- After setting the Google Cardboard 2.0 Plus up I expected the worst case scenario with lots of VR sickness and puking, pushing me to the limits with hours and hours of stereoscopic 3D VR gameplay (Quake 3D VR, Google 3d VR Cardboard Apps and 3D VR 360° videos)

- Surprised that after days of testing none of the side effects hit me (no puking, no VR Sickness, not even the slightest dizziness)

- Low FPS, Mouse and keyboard controls, fps/tps/isometric ingame view swiching, phone gyroscope head tracking were all non problematic for me

- Did years of too close up to the TV/Monitor 3D gaming eventually melt all potentially VR sickness inducing synapses in my brain away making me sort of immune to VR Sickness ?

- Mobile VR was initially interesting but technically 20 years in the past and performance decreases when temps of the mobile go up, so after all those positive experiences I thought about the next logical step.

- I began to wonder about whether streaming from my desktop machine to the mobile (outsourcing the 3d computational power of my desktop machine) would be an option and I was curious if the expected potential latency due to the streaming would finally fuck me up and induce VR Sickness to me ?

- Due to the lack of high fps recording equipment I came up with a relatively simple but effective way to make streaming latency visible to my eyes using idtech4 muzzleflashes and comparing the milliseconds long muzzleflashes rendering events on the desktop screen to the stream output on my mobile.

- To my surprise a delay was barely ever noticeable (if at all) and so I prepared the streaming of my custom projects in side by side Stereoscopic 3D to the mobile

- Streaming S3D content works surprisingly well for me at low latency still without inducing VR sickness of any kind at 1080p @ 70 mbit/s wifi connection speed. Plus I now totally got rid of any cables to my DIY VR headset, making it even more comfortable to wear while reducing the weight.

- Even disabling Headtracking and the lack of positional tracking are not VR sickness inducing for me and something I noticed early on while using VR in classic PVE games like Quake VR was, that PVE Gameplay though looking really cool with Headtracking, if used in combination with a controller (or mouse and keyboard) for hours during gameplay, can become tiring to the neck muscles and spine because if you sit in a comfortable couch/chair you need to frequently re-adjust your head neck position (I guess that's why Oculus targets a "swivel chair" as their ideal platform to experience Oculus Rift on). Disabling Headtracking made me become "competitive" again, playing the games the way I am used from my desktop 3D gaming experience and my neck-spine and muscles don't get strained/fatigued since I can relax my neck/head in a comfortable position.

- People are "lazy creatures" by nature and if just Headtracking gets me tired over the course of hours I don't even dare to imagine how much more effort it would be to play PVE Games on the Vive with Room Scaled VR and Vive controllers. Having to do "Jumping Jacks" for hours after work just for entertainment is not exactly my definition of free-time-fun.

- And so having found a way for me to use all my existing projects and 3d games with a DIY headset I instantly wonder whether the main VR manufacturers (Oculus, Vive and Gear VR) actually allow to use that method of simply streaming your 3d VR content from a Desktop Machine to the devices. If a DIY Kit with an old S5 Smartphone OLED Screen is already so much fun, how much better would this work on a dedicated VR screen with this DIY method ?

- Is this first generation of Consumer Version VR Devices "open enough" to allow for such modifications as disabling Head and Positional tracking and replacing it with mouse and keyboard controls without troubles while streaming the entire Desktop screen via WIFI ?

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The VR Tech Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Admin

You bring up some interesting points here, so thanks for linking to the "dos and don'ts" in VR as I am sure I'll have to deal with users getting VR sick from my projects sooner or later.

Are there any reliable studies/statistics about how high the percentage of people actually is being affected by VR Sickness ?

Also what exactly are the symptoms for you ? The problem for me is that when people tell me that VR Sickness is similar to Sea Sickness or Simulator Sickness, it is not really helping explaining it to me as I had neither of these either...

In terms of my personal VR Experience so far, here are just a few of the projects and games I am currently experimenting with:

VentureVR: obviously a VR test version of my idtech4 Venture project

UEVR: a VR test version of one of my Unreal Engine projects

Thief3VR: a VR version of the game Thief 3 Deadly Shadows

These and many more projects/games I have running fully in stereoscopic 3D with HeadTracking support (without positional tracking) allowing me to experience a wide variety of gamestyles, gametypes and camera perspectives in VR.

From the close quarter sneaking in Thief3 down to full blown 32 vs 32 vehicular combat across miles of outdoor landscapes in UnrealEngine...

I am actually amazed by how quickly the human brain gets used to this new way of playing and now after weeks of playtesting I find the combination of mouse and keyboard WITH additional headtracking to be the most comfortable way to play VR games being immersed while remaining competitive.

Check out our mods at

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:15 am 
Site Admin

I spent the last couple of days experimenting and setting up a "VR COOP Sandbox" for ArmA3.

So far the absolute most mind blowing Virtual Reality Experience for me. IMO it's exactly this kind of game/simulation which profits most from VR, completely changing the gaming experience compared to gameplay on a 2D screen.

The footage showcased here is more addressed to people without any VR experience who mainly ask themselves what exactly to expect from a VR experience. And although VR is hard to showcase via a 2D youtube video it may (or may not) cover answers to the most urging questions of what a VR experience is like when playing a complex title such as ArmA3 in Virtual Reality.

This footage was captured on a client connected to a dedicated server. This sandbox mission will be playable cooperatively with up to 6 players.

I still don't get why at this year's E3, the industry mainly is focusing on showcasing "stationary shoot'em up" and "rail shooter" VR versions of their AAA titles (like Bethesda did with Fallout 4 and Doom2016).

Like who in his right mind would like to play a VR game/demo where you are locked to a stationary position for longer periods of time ?

I still think that way too many people with weak stomachs and brains are in charge when it comes to promoting VR to the public, effectively making VR look more of a gimmick feature that comes with way too many restrictions to be attractive for to the mainstream.

Check out our mods at

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am 

Hello guys ..
thanks for the posts

Profile E-mail